Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lola Rosa Café


Today's post will be about Lola Rosa Café, the McGill student favourite that I promised a review of weeks ago.  Lola Rosa Café is a small, quaint vegetarian bistro located in the heart of the “McGill Ghetto”.  My Information Systems class required my group and I to consult for Lola Rosa and evaluate how best to leverage social media in their business model. Our proposals and a short introduction to Lola Rosa were contained in a video presentation that you can now find on YouTube.  




Like most people I know, I wasn't really sure what to expect from Lola Rosa, considering it was my first fully vegetarian experience. Fortunately, any uncertainties or bias you may have towards a vegetarian establishment are wiped clean as soon as you walk in the door. In the back of your head, there’s still that voice telling you a meal completely void of meat seems illogical, but by now you’re completely blinded by Lola Rosa’s overwhelming charm. The atmosphere is rustic and cozy, yet beautifully refined by nothing less than an artists touch. Supplement this with a warm, welcoming team of waiters and the lively buzzing of student conversation and you can see why this little bistro is making itself known in a big way.

At this point in the post, I've already talked myself into wanting Lola Rosa for lunch tomorrow and I haven't even gotten to the main attraction - the food. I opened with one of the day's specials, a rich, creamy butternut squash soup, but this wasn't just any old soup. Lola Rosa took a heart-warming classic and turned it up to eleven with a unique flare of spices. It was this not-so-simple soup that provided the initial insight into how this bistro was keeping vegetarian food interesting and relevant.


For my main course, I was lucky enough to be dining with a couple of friends that were open to the concept of letting me eat their food. On my first visit I got the Lola Rosa salad and the quiche on the second, but I've gotten to dabble in a taste of quite a few dishes. From what I've had, my top two recommendations would have to be the cutting-board platter of nachos and the lasagna. Both are true examples of how Lola Rosa can take the simplest dish and transform it into a symphony of vegetarian cuisine.

 

1 comment: